Sunday, March 14, 2010

Finding Some Jazz in Geneva

I’ve been in the mood for some jazz lately. Not only did I find a fantastic venue last night, but a new favorite artist.

A chanteuse with most lyrics in French, Caracol, stole my heart last night. The more I think about it. The more I realize that this is my favorite music genre.

Le Chat Noir proved to be a great, intimate music hall. It’s more of a room in the basement of a pretty cool bar. I arrived early – to make sure I was able to pick out the best general admission seat. As I sat waiting for the show to start I had two thoughts.

At first I was dreaming about all the music groups of the world. How they probably started in venues just like this. How they would hunker down in some basement and play, or sing, or read poetry, or tell jokes. How they would do anything to practice their passion. Their art.

I saw Tracy Chapman in a similar venue in North Hampton, MA when I was in college. I thought about her. About the B-52’s. Eddie Izzard. And others. Caracol could be the next Grammy winner. You never know.

My second thought was I could die tonight. I looked around the basement studio and noted that the one, small entrance/exit definitely makes this a room that you get trapped in during an emergency. I lived. Cleary.

Here is my favorite song that I heard last night.




Le Chat Noir
13 rue Vautier
Carouge, Geneva
Switzerland

1 comment:

  1. very nice video! Glad you are having a good time exploring and quit making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete