Sunday, March 14, 2010

Geneva and Non-Stop Eating

I couldn’t find a bank. Anywhere. I thought this was funny. You know Swiss banks and all.

Since Switzerland doesn’t accept Euros my plan was to withdraw money – Swiss Francs – from an ATM. This proved harder than I imagined. Twice. The first time I hunted for some cash I thought it was a fluke. The second time made me wonder about this city.

Cash – finally – in wallet. I started spending. Hotels, clothing, and gadgets tend to see the frugal side of me. Food. On the other hand. Has no ceiling. I will – and have – dig pretty deep in my pocket for something edible.

My first meal in any city is always local fare. And depending on where I am, sometimes I stick to this. In large cities or Geneva – the International City – I venture beyond what the locals are preparing.

Sticking to tradition my first meal was fondue – a Swiss staple. Then it was Lahmacun – Arabian origin – flat pizza type dough with minced lamb. Prepared at a Turkish restaurant in Carouge. Served with pickles, tomatoes, lemon juice, and sliced onions.

In memory of my grandmother, I just had to get me some Swiss bread. Lathered with butter and strawberry jam. Just like she taught me. Supplemented with a sunflower seed croissant with chive cream cheese. And balloon bread with dried sausage and gruyère. Everything was heavenly. I wanted seconds, but opted to save some space for a large lunch.

For lunch I found myself at Los Incas. Specializing in South American cuisine. Pork tamale and chicharron de chancho. Explaining the later – deep fried, heavily salted pork ribs. Served with white-sticky rice, boiled potatoes, and fresh tomatoes and onions. Recipe directly from Peru.

Still full from the pork-a-plenty lunch. I’m not sure if it’ll be Spanish tapas or Chinese for dinner tonight. Perhaps Italian? This international city really has a lot to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment