Friday, February 26, 2010

Brussels, Belgium 2 of 2

There comes a moment of panic each time I arrive into a new city.

Gathering my sense of direction and an understanding for a new city can be difficult.

Arriving into Brussels’ Gare du Midi I realized that I knew very little of this place. I did not have an understanding of the size. Which direction was north. Or what to expect.

In some ways this was good because everything was a surprise. In other ways this was frustrating. For example, I couldn’t make my way from the train station because I didn’t know which way was up.

I jotted some walking directions to my hotel before for leaving Paris. I was unsuccessful at finding the first street. Anxious and almost ready to hail a cab I went back into the train station. Found a bookstore. Grabbed the travel guide for Brussels. And surveyed the map.

With a better sense of direction I tried again. This time successfully. Within an hour I had a sense of what Brussels was going to bring me. I knew the major landmarks. The district of my hotel. And where to find some classic-Belgium food.

I couldn’t but feel like a homing-pigeon in my first hour in this new town - the pigeon-flying capital of the world. My father is an avid pigeon-racer. So I know my pigeons. When brought to a new place it takes the birds some time to adjust. To recalibrate. Before they know which way to fly. Once adjusted they fly directly home. Without error.

Just like my father’s pigeons. Once I was adjusted. I wandered without fail.

My time was short – just about 24 hours. I was staying near the Grand Place, Brussels’ central square. Boarded with restaurants, cafes, and the city’s town hall.

I must admit that prior to my arrival I wasn’t sure what language they spoke in this country. Turns out. Everything. Well, French, Dutch, and English. I got around with some French and English. Signs throughout the city are mostly tri-lingual – making it easy to navigate.

Brussels is the biggest city in Belgium. Standing not only as the capital of Belgium, but of the European Union as well.

Catholic and Protestant cathedrals pepper the city. As you would expect in any large city, an abundance of museums, parks, and monuments can also be found.

I took a nice stroll up embassy row. Unable to take a photo of the American Embassy – as per the guard’s yelling – I have it permanently stored in my memory.

There was lots of rain. And moments of bright, blue sky. Here is a wonderful shot looking back on the city from Saint Jacques.

My time also took me into the Musée Magritte Museum‎ dedicated to surrealist artist, René Magritte.

Finally, I dove deep into the food of Belgium. Mussels. Beer. Chocolate. Waffles. And a dish called stoemp – mashed potatoes with root vegetables (Brussels sprouts!), accompanied by bacon, and sausage.
Brussels is only an hour and a half train ride from Paris. I will definitely be coming back here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment