Friday, February 26, 2010

Le Cordon Bleu - Instruction #23; Practical #23

The light week made it difficult to get back in the groove this morning.

I was less than thrilled when the alarm went off. A shower and walk to school didn’t pump me up any. The wind and rain didn’t do much to lift the spirits either.

Sitting through a slow, tedious demonstration by Chef Lesourd. Just trying to keep focus.

Instruction #23

  • Grilled langoustines with spices, virgin olive oil sauce
  • Salmon and watercress gratin
  • Beef Stroganoff, rice with vegetables

Langoustines – shrimp with dramatic claws – are simple to prepare. Marinated in a mixture of milled anise, mace, coriander, cinnamon, cumin, ginger, and lemon zest. Then lightly pan fried. Deviating from the Le Cordon Bleu recipe, Chef made a jus from the crustacean’s carcasses. Served with a simple salad of mixed greens.


Having lost my attention by this point, Chef prepared the salmon and watercress gratin. Essentially salmon escalopes – blanched with white wine, salt, and pepper in the oven. Layered underneath lied sautéed mushrooms and watercress. Avocado. And sliced tomatoes. All topped with a mousseline sauce – egg yolks cooked Hollandaise-style. Clarified butter. Cream. Juice of half a lemon. And cayenne. Well it was suppose to have cayenne.

Our third dish, Beef Stroganoff, called for a lot of paprika. Some in the marinade. And some in the sauce. All went well until Chef tasted his sauce.

Paprika wasn't added. It was cayenne. Blowing the top off his head, Chef lectured us (really he was talking to his assistant) about how you must always double check each ingredient before adding it. I got a good chuckle out of this.

So. Needless-to-say. No cayenne was added to the salmon and watercress gratin.

Immediately following demo we had our practical for the Beef Stroganoff. This morning’s Chef Lesourd oversaw our group. Working methodically – but fast – I worked through the recipe.

Trimming, sectioning, and marinating the beef. Ultimately, pan searing. Making a sauce with paprika – not cayenne. And preparing my vegetables – all brunoise – for the rice.

Keeping my station clean with a casual wipe down. The components came together. And I presented my work to the chef.

Nothing. He said nothing, but très bonne. Not an item lacked in perfection on my plate. The meat was cooked perfectly. Sauce – nicely reduced, seasoned and just the right amount of cream. Rice was cooked (which might be a first for me, I struggle with rice for some reason). Vegetables uniformed little cubes. Très bonne.

A bit later as I was doing my final clean up the chef came by. Squeezed my shoulder and said that I had done a great, great job today. As if that wasn’t enough, he passed by a second time complimenting me on my outstanding cleanliness.

Chef gave me a solid, au revoir, bonne week-end – looking me in the eye - as I left the kitchen for the day.

This was big for me. Not so much the work that I produced. But, getting noticed.

I was beginning to think that I was unnoticeable. Always on-time. Clean. Prepared. Rarely ask questions because I usually have it down. Focused in the kitchen - keeping quiet and to myself. White. American. Male. Nothing really to make me stand out. You know, generic.

Wondering if any of the chef’s even know my name. I have been plotting on how I can get noticed. Perhaps whistle while I work? Start burning things? Or ask annoying questions?

Today showed me that diligence, good work – no make that great work – and cleanliness may be just what I need to get noticed by the chefs.

So, until my work is great without fail, I might just start humming a little Dean Martin while I cook.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray Tony! It's good to hear you're getting the attention you deserve. :) Stay hip!

    ReplyDelete