Sunday, August 22, 2010

Finding Wonder

I took an unexpected turn. Leading me to Madeleine. Knowing the métro stop well – home to my favorite line – but unaware of what was on street-level.

Madeleine refers to an enormous building. Neo-classical architecture with fifty-two columns left me wondering its function. I thought maybe a library, or a court house, or even a concert hall. So I walked in.

Heading up the stairs, pass the tourists, and to the doors – which reminded me of something I couldn’t think of – still unclear. Once entered, it all made sense.

Feeling partly sheepish, I gawked at the beauty. The gold plated entrance resembling the Ten Commandments. Images of Mary Magdalene darted throughout. Pews lined with parishioners. And an organ that could sing of angels.

Perhaps it was the unexpected that captured me, but L'église de la Madeleine is one of the most beautiful Roman Catholic churches I have come across. Certainly in Paris.

Most visitors head to Notre Dame or Sacré Coeur for mass. Usually overcrowded and full of disrespecting tourists on the side line. Leaving an un-spiritual feeling. My suggestion is to visit these churches as a rude tourist. But. Find religious growth at Madeleine.

My experience also pointed out after eight months of scouring Parisian streets I’ve barely scratched the surface

L'église de la Madeleine
14 Rue de Surène
75008 Paris

Notre Dame
6 Bis Rue Cloître Notre Dame
75004 Paris

Sacré Coeur
35 Rue du Chevalier de La Barre
75018 Paris

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is breathtaking beauty. I'm sorry we missed it. Thank you for sharing. May you have many more discoveries, in the days remaining.

    ReplyDelete