Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Atypical Fish in Amherst

There was something familiar on my walk to the aquarium yesterday. The smell of dampened pines, cherry blossoms, and must-lined grass. Repositioned to the campus of UMass in Amherst, I recalled many dear memories.

Amherst is a darling town. Small on its own right, nearly awkward when university is in session. Set apart by its seasons. Distinct. Full life-spanned. And gorgeous. Spring and autumn were always my favorite – the most dramatic of changes. Keepsake memories created.

Yesterday’s walk made me think that fond memories must follow fond memories.

Documentaries about the Deep Ocean always took my interest. Spin-less creatures. World's largest mammal. Organisms living in shells. Are all so fascinating and an extreme departure from life on dry land.

In the past I would beeline for the strangest looking creature. Passing by the common aquatic animals. Uninterested in their existence all together.

Yesterday was different. I came to Cinéaqua – Paris’ aquarium – as a culinary student. Not as a gawker of nature’s oddities.

As suggested by a chef, I was here to learn as much as possible about the ingredients that I cook with. The more you understand components – how they grow, where they live, who they eat, and why they move – the better you are at preparing them.


Ignoring the sharks and jellyfish. I stared at mackerels, sea bream, minnows, and carp. Imprinting their size, color, and unique features. Watching their movement – some non-stop, some very still. Slowly understanding which muscle is used the most. Perhaps changing the flavor, or texture.

The aquarium provided limited details on each species. I was able to gather fresh or salt water. What – who, in some cases – they ate. And a general sense of size. Supplemented with a simple Google-search.

Amherst reappeared yesterday, unexpectedly. And mackerel, atypically, held my attention. Underscoring the ebb and flow of life.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting, going to an aquarium to view your potential dinner. I like the connection: "the ebb and flow of life"!!
    xoxo your mammamia

    ReplyDelete