Sunday, February 21, 2010

More Than a Walk in the Park

Naturally my walk began in the 15th arrondissement. In my neighborhood.

Today’s route. 6.4 kilometers. 4 miles. The goal? Basilique du Sacré Coeur.

I try to explore Paris as much as possible in my free-time. Learning the streets. Hitting the tourist stops. And living like a real Parisian.

The beginning of my journey was typical. Passing my local shops, winding through familiar streets, and nodding to my neighbors. The 15th is one of the more residential arrondissements of Paris. Other than Le Cordon Bleu, there really isn’t much to do. In terms of tourist attractions. Just what I was looking for – the real Paris experience. Sans tourists.

Once pass the Eiffel Tower I entered the 7th. Still residential, but peppered with official Paris buildings and various embassies. More hotels than the 15th and much more to do. The Invalides – namely Napoleon’s grave – and the Rodin Museum are a couple of the major stops. The 7th begins the posh-ness of Paris. Fine épiceries. Classed wine caves. And slick clothing stores.

Turning my back to the left bank, I crossed the Seine at Pont de l’Alma. Arriving in the 8th on Avenue Montaigne. Cavalli. Jimmy Choo. Louis Vuitton. And the like, line this fashion-capital street. The street’s pulse was kept by fast-walking stilettos and floor-lengthened furs. Glitz, glamour, and glory (presumably).

Still in the 8th, but on the other end of Avenue Montaigne – where it turns into Avenue Matignon - there was a different scene. White table cloths were replaced with Chinese fast food joints. Sneakers seemed to have taken the street’s gate. And a semi-frantic mood took over the earlier, relaxed, out-to-lunch feel.

From the 8th I snuck passed the 17th and entered the 18th. You know you’re in the 18th when store fronts are plastered with naked ladies. Men on the street bark for their strip clubs. And the air is some thing of a stink. Lovely. Needed to capture a photo of the infamous Moulin Rouge I continued to walk. Luckily it was day time and strip clubs aren’t my thing. It was a short visit.

Down the street – up the hill – laid Sacré Coeur. As I approached tourists begin to swarm around me. Like gnats. Trying to keep from swatting, I dodge through to the foot of my destination.

Sacré Coeur is a beautiful – and enormous – Catholic basilica. Which is interesting in its own right. But really you come here for the view of Paris. The church sits on Montmartre – the highest point of the city. 360 degree views. Stunning.

There is a small town-like area built up around Sacré Coeur. Tourist-heavy, but charming. Small, cobble-stoned streets climbing up and down the hillside. It’s San Francisco meets old world Europe.

Bruna and I took some coffee and a light snack and then headed home.

As for my journey back? I took the metro!

2 comments:

  1. What a perfect tour guide I'll have when I visit France!!
    Your mama mia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post! I did an art trip with Westminster in 2001 and we covered much of this same area...it brought back some wonderful memories! Sounds like you enjoyed the most lovely day ever!

    ReplyDelete