Monday, February 22, 2010

American Olympics - Paris Style

U.S.A. – 5

Canada – 3

Upsettingly – to Canadians – Team USA won Sunday’s Olympic hockey game.

Some friends wanted to watch the game. Which sounded sort-of fun to me. Screaming at a television. Honoring the red, white, and blue of the American flag. Synchronized in song. Fun, right?

The only problem was the game was broadcast live. Again, no problem until you adjust for local time. 1:30 a.m. The beginning of the game. A little more math put my bedtime at 5:30 a.m. A usual wake-up time for me. Not bed-time. [yawn!]

It was an adventure. Jacked up on some strong coffee, I was raring to go. The best place to catch the game was a Canadian bar on the left bank. The Great Canadian Pub. This bonded the Americans even more. Just in case, we temporarily gave our two Irish friends American citizenship – to help balance out the numbers.

It was a blast. Cheering for your team. Taunting the other side. And, of course, victory!

I had a moment. Forgetting that I was in France. Forgetting that I was away from home. It was comforting. I suppose experiences like these are what help bridge the gap of loneliness and isolation.

U! S! A! … U! S! A! … U! S! A!

1 comment:

  1. No matter where you go, what you are doing, what 2nd language you are speaking...born an american, always an american!!! Go USA!!

    ReplyDelete