Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Le Cordon Bleu - Instruction #7; Practical #7

Chef Poupard getting ready to cook the crabs.


The oil has to be screaming hot. To kill the crabs instantly. Less painful, according to the chef.

As you may have guessed - crab bisque.

Once the crabs have cooked well in the hot oil, turning a nice red-orange color, you crush them with the end of a rolling pin. This will maximize the flavor – or extraction of.

Dump in mirepoix of carrots, onions, and celery. Bouquet garni. Diced tomatoes. Garlic. Tomato paste. Cognac. White wine. Top with fumet (fish stock). Boil for a rough 30 minutes. Strain. Rice-flour to thicken. Cream. Cayenne – just a pinch. Serve it up.

This is a pretty straight forward bisque. Nothing too complicated in the process. In the end mine was a bit too thick, but rectified with a bit more fumet.

Apparently I have a heavy hand when it comes to pepper. This is the second time that I have been warned about pulling back on my seasoning. I think I’ve got it this time.

We also completed the first step in some new puff pastry. This time I am determined not to have it too thick – just right. We’ll complete the turning in tomorrow’s practical. I think I got the thickness perfect this morning, but tomorrow will tell.

Instruction #7 – Soups – Part 1

  • Cream soups: Cream of cauliflower soup
  • Veloutés: Mushroom velouté
  • Bisques: Crab bisque
In addition to crab bisque, Chef Poupard also prepared mushroom velouté and cream of cauliflower soup in yesterday’s instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment