Thursday, December 17, 2009

My Favorite Food Things - Day #18 - Protein

Duck - if it’s on the menu.

Veal – if my father is coming for dinner. (Pork for Mom)

Lamb – if I am cooking.

Eggs – if there is a vegetarian in the house.

Every protein has a time and place on any table. I love the many different methods of cooking duck; confit, pan-seared, or a l’orange. It is always fun for me to order duck at restaurants. Inevitability, the duck will be prepared in an innovative way – always worth noting.

My father is a die-hard osso bucco fan. Osso bucco is a Milanese dish typically made with veal shank, although lamb shank is a frequent substitute. Regardless the time of year, event, or meal – when you ask my father he will always say, “Osso bucco!” And the exclamation is no exaggeration.

We have a little joke in my family about what Mom will order at a restaurant. God bless her, she will always pick up a menu and carefully consider each item. The joke is, of course, that without fail, she will order the pork.

Lamb is one of those proteins that you either love or hate. I love lamb. Perhaps it’s my Greek coming out, I don’t know. I love lamb burgers, lamb chops with balsamic vinegar, but my favorite is braised lamb. Mmmmm…take a nice leg of lamb (or as an homage to my father use a shank) pour a bottle of Bordeaux wine in the pan, fill the sides with Chipolino onions, fennel, and fresh rosemary and let the dish bake at low heat for hours upon hours. Devine peace. Scrumptious!

For all the vegetarians out there - fear not! Eggs are a super source of protein - not to mention they are jam-packed with a variety of vitamins and minerals.

Bottom line is that just like poison – everyone picks their favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment