Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My Favorite Food Things - Day #17 - Vegetables

I haven’t met a vegetable that I don’t like. I prefer my vegetables either roasted or in some sort of a medley – like a gratin or hash. But, I will take also take them steamed, sautéed, mashed, baked, or even raw.

My all time favorite vegetable however is fennel. Oh, but I do love asparagus. Oh, oh and there is nothing like fresh peas in the summertime. How can I leave off roasted Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and broccoli? I would be doing myself an injustice if I didn’t write about how much I adore onions and potatoes…and sweet potatoes…and turnips. And there is fresh corn on the cob. Raw celery root. And buttered carrots.

Ok, in all seriousness, my favorite vegetable truly is fennel. Roasted with a bit of parmesan. Sautéed and added to mashed potatoes. Baked in lasagna. Pickled with some winter pate. No matter the preparation, fennel will always steal my heart.

(By the way my husband is working on becoming a dietician and this post should make him very happy)

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know he was working towards being a dietician. My aunt is a retired Col from the Army. She was a dietician in the service.

    ReplyDelete