Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Sharper Your Knife The Less You Cry

After I made the decision to go to Le Cordon Bleu I started to do as much research as possible on the experience. One of my favorite books that I read was, The Sharper Your Knife The Less You Cry by Kathleen Flinn. Throughout her story she recounts the daily struggle through LCB.

The one part that stood out the most to me was when Kathleen talked about the day she cried. She illustrated the stress of the new program, of living in France, of being apart from her then boyfriend (now husband), and the pressure from the chefs. All of these added up finally made her snap and cry at school.

Ever since I read those words I realized that I too will come to a breaking point. I too will snap and emotionally fall apart at school. This THRILLS me! This excites me more than anything else…

I wonder everyday what will be the final straw that will make me dissolve in my own tears.

People usually think I am some sort of sick when they hear this, but it’s true. I anticipate the day I write telling you that I have hit rock bottom and when so and so yelled at me about such and such I lost it.

…ahh the truth about culinary school…

3 comments:

  1. I must agree with you as this is exactly the mentality I have after I applied to LCB. It is not because that I am a pessimistic person, although people like to say that I am , but really to have that in mind is to prepare myself for what is to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's hoping the only tears that you shed come from the sting of onions... and thanks for the nice words on my book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is like a muscle you are working on building. You work it and work it until it tears a bit and then it will begin to build into an even stronger muscle.

    ReplyDelete