Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Le Cordon Bleu - Instruction #27; Practical #27

There are still 30 instructions. Even though. We only have 27 practicals.

Those that would normally go with class #28 and #29 have been combined. Into one, five-hour, dry-run. And. As normal, practical #30 constitutes the final exam.

Today’s practical #27. Therefore. Was my last. Menu included; veal stuffed rabbit legs, braised endive, and polenta with olives.

I moved through practical with Chef Poupard hovering about. Stopping often, taking it in. While this was not my last time in the kitchen. It does mark an end.

Demonstrations from now are just for show. Wondering what dish will come next, ceases. And focus is solely on final exam preparations.

Without ceremony. Chef Terrien plowed through lesson #27.

Instruction #27

  • Mussel fricassee, golden chanterelles and beans, poulette sauce
  • Stuffed and roasted rabbit leg, crisp endives, polenta with olives, reduced jus with sage
  • Inversed flat peach Melba, red currant jus flavored with hibiscus
Poulette refers to the poulet – chicken – stock in the sauce. Not to my aunt Paulette. Finally mixed with mussel cooking liquid, cream, chives, butter, and parsley.

Mussels steamed in white wine, shallot and parsley stems. Opened for consumption. And prepared them for a garnish of cannelini beans, sautéed chanterelle mushrooms and sliced chorizo sausage. Making for a decent entrée.

As mentioned before. Rabbit stuffed with veal slowly roasted at 180 degrees Celsius for about twenty-five minutes. For a first at Le Cordon Bleu. Sage was used. Studding the legs and throughout the jus. Chef suggested adding beyond the two sprigs that I used.

Disliking the olives in instruction’s polenta. I left them out. When presented to Chef. He asked.

Where are the olives?

I told him that they were optional and I didn’t like them. Slightly chuckling. Chef replied.

I think you are optional. Not the olives.

We laughed. And I added a bit at the end. Just for him.

Belgian endive and I don’t get along. Always too bitter for me. Even today’s lemon juice and sugar in the braising liquid didn’t help. Chef liked it in the end. Different tastes. I suppose.

Dessert is a classic. Syrup poached peaches, coulis, and vanilla ice cream. Barley modernized with red currant, hibiscus perfume, and gingerbread tuile.

No comments:

Post a Comment