Saturday, July 24, 2010

Le Cordon Bleu - Atelier #2

Hold true to the timeline. This round's goal. Motivated by the final exam’s four hour requirement.

For each atelier we are given six hours to complete two entrées and two main dishes. Completing in four, or at least five, has always been the chefs’ suggestion. I finished in four and a half. I didn’t budget twenty minutes of discussion with Chef Terrien – today’s proctor – about my first plate. So. Overall. I consider this a success.

Such delaying conversations will not take place during the final exam. In fact the entire format is different. Four amuse-bouche – small enough to fit in a shot glass – and four main plates. Much easier to manage.

As for the day’s results? Overall, fair to good.

Chef Terrien is perfect to have on a day like today because of his detailed, constructive criticism. He always has another idea for plating. An alternative cooking method. Or some addition for a sauce. He is seasoned and good.

Entrée was presented nicely. Well seasoned. And diverse. Chef would have left the skin on the fish, cooked the spinach at a lower temperature, and plated the center item upside down. All brilliant ideas duly noted.

I was disappointed with my fish. I would have cooked that longer and blanched the spinach from the get-go – I slowly dried it in the oven. My sauce was better than I expected, so that’s a keeper.

Entrée – Poached sea bream with beet, artichoke ‘Oreos’ and carrot, spring onion, tarragon purée.

Today’s main plate went much better than the last atelier. Portion-control was in full effect.

Curious to use gelatin I made a tomato, garlic jelly. Plating beautifully. Disastrously ending.

I knew that gelatin would loose its bond once reheated (i.e. placed on a hot piece of meat). I just didn’t know it would happen so quickly. I expected to plate my dish. Present it to chef as he watched the jelly slowly melt away. Instead the jelly was essentially gone by the time Chef laid his eyes on my plate.

The good news was that the tomato and garlic flavors nicely corresponded with my ginger jus and lemon cream sauce. Chef was happy.

An argument – even among LCB chefs – is the desired doneness of veal. I prefer less cooking, giving respect to the tenderness of this protein. Chef Terrien demands it more done. This was his first criticism – cook it more.

Chef’s only other suggestion of the main course was to drain my cauliflower purée. Oh. And to cook the cauliflower longer.

You are a cook. So. You must cook. Kindly remarked Chef.

Main Course – Veal medallion, sweetbread phyllo ‘candy’ with white asparagus, green-dyed cauliflower purée, ginger jus and lemon cream sauce. Tomato, garlic jelly.


It will be a week or two before we receive our final exam list. I am curious what proteins, vegetables, and other ingredients will be given. The ideas are rolling through my brain as I type.

Where will we go?

1 comment: