Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Le Cordon Bleu - Instruction #28; Practical #28

Instruction #28

  • Sea bass and shellfish with aromatic vegetables
  • Veal tenderloin cooked pink, creamy risotto and mushrooms, asparagus sauce
  • Warm raspberry tart
Instruction #28 was our farewell lesson with Chef Caals. He will still be around for Superior practicals. But in terms of demonstrations. He’s finished.

Chef is a good instructor one-on-one in a practical kitchen. If he cares about you. Luckily somehow this term, he started to care for me. I learned a lot from him. Just none of it in his instructional classes. C’est la vie.

Ceviche-style marinated sea bass fillets. And cooked shellfish. Started off Chef’s demo.

Green and red bell peppers, celery, onion, zucchini, tomato, lemon juice, basil, chives, garlic, and olive oil all happily married each other in the fridge. Meanwhile thin slices of sea bass were prepped with olive oil, thyme and bay leaves, lemon and orange zest, and black peppercorns.

The finished ensemble was wonderfully fresh. Lightness from fish. Cool citrus hints. And a fragrance of fresh herbs.

Next on the menu, not so light of a dish. Risotto, creamed with chicken stock and parmesan cheese. Accompained rosé veal. Gently pan-seared in olive oil, butter, and garlic. Matched with asparagus and Mornay sauce – béchamel with grated parmesan. A few mushroom chips finished off the plate.

My nerves rose once Chef Terrien walked into our practical room. Committed to staying calm I worked patiently through the recipes. I still managed to over – or was it under – cook my veal. Trying to mimic chef’s demonstration I must have missed something. I was instructed in practical to use only low heat. Not the high initial blast I thought I was to do. This is not beef. Chef kindly pointed out.

A final comment of less salt in the asparagus sauce. And more for the risotto. Really sent me over the edge. Gently smiling at Chef I cleaned my work station. And began to greatly worry about Superior Cuisine, when Chef Terrien will be a regular presence.

Final dish of the day was some what common. Tart with fresh fruit. This time, raspberries for the top. Almond cream in the base.

No comments:

Post a Comment