Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Le Cordon Bleu - Practical #16

My lamb dish went a little better than Chef’s. It was cooked.

I went through my normal practical routine.

First verify that my workstation on the marble island is clean. Then the oven to the desired temperature. Followed by the burners. The first to six – French burners are one (low) to six (high). Second to three. One for the third. And the fourth burner remains off. I use this as a resting spot for items coming out of the oven or off another burner.

When I say burner I mean flat, electric, cook-tops. No gas in Le Cordon Bleu. Not because these ancient iron tops work better. But for safety. There is no burning down the school this way.

While my stove and oven heat up, I gather other items. A small bowl filled with water, holding a ladle and skimmer – for greasing, skimming, spooning. A pastry brush – to clean down the sides of pots while reducing. And a plastic spoon – for mixing.

In addition to the small bowl I also gather a cutting board, large roasting pan, and a series of bowls.

Once I place my plastic net (like what you use to prevent rugs from slipping) under my cutting board I prepare the roasting pan. Lined with four sheets of paper-towel. I place my knives, peeler, scraper, and any other tools that I may need in the center.

The day’s recipe determines the bowls’ functionality. Usually one for trash, bad meat trimmings, good meat trimmings, water to clean vegetables, and a final bowl for mixing.

From here I pull out any pots and pans that will be used from the various cubbies throughout the kitchen. Make parchment lids. And collect my ingredients.

By this point about two minutes have passed and I am ready to start my practical. Our time is precious and closely monitored by the chefs. It is critical that you are well organized not only on the work-surface, but in your mind as well. Two minutes for a set-up is plenty long. And quite honestly, should be getting faster.

Once I am set-up it’s hit the ground running. Moving through each recipe sequentially as I have pre-planned. Until the dish is plated and ready for presenting. As I sit through instructions my brain starts to turn. Thinking about how I will plate my dish. In Basic I was so afraid to think for myself I usually plated just as the chef demonstrated. The rebirth of my creativity and freedom has been thrilling.

Organization and planning served me well for practical #16. Chef Poupard – a high standard chef – monitored our group. His final assessment of my dish was parfait. I was thrilled to hear such great words from Chef. Now, hopefully I won’t be so tense the next time I work with him.

1 comment:

  1. Planning, organinizing, running, 2 minutes etc. why don't you join the army ?!

    ReplyDelete