Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Le Cordon Bleu - Basic Cuisine Practical Exam

My group of friends and I have been memorizing recipes and practicing for over a week. Today is the Basic Cuisine exam. Ten of our 90-something recipes have been chosen as possible tests. One of which we’ll need to produce in two and a half hours.

1. Poularde pochée sauce suprême, riz au gras
Poached chicken with supreme sauce, rice “au gras”

2. Poulet rôti et son jus
Roasted chicken and jus

3. Filets de barbue dugléré
Brill fillets in white wine sauce

4. Blanquette de veau à l’ancienne, riz pilaf
Traditional veal stew, pilaf rice

5. Côtes de veau grand-mère
Sautéed veal chops, “Grandma-style,” with garnish

6. Canette rôtie aux navets
Roast duckling with turnips

7. Sauté de boeuf stroganoff, riz aux légumes
Beef Strogonoff, rice with vegetables

8. Poulet sauté à l’estragon, legumes presses à l’italienne
Chicken sauté with tarragon, Italian-style vegetables

9. Terrine de poisson chaude, sauce beurre blanc
Hot fish terrine with beurre blanc

10. Filets de daurades poêles au fenouil
Sea bream fillets with fennel

I have dissected each recipe and formed an opinion if it will be on the exam or not. Trying to get in the heads of LCB, figuring out which two recipes were chosen. Hours spent on this activity. All fruitless. I know. Soon enough it’ll be revealed.

Emotionally, I have run the gamut. Five hours before my exam I am feeling calm. My confidence is building – but not too much. Equipped to tackle the task. I am not intending to come across cocky – far from that. There are still plenty of nerves and wonders. My intention is to covey my preparedness.

At this point, it is what it is. All I can do this afternoon is stay focused – and calm – and cook.

2 comments: