Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Le Cordon Bleu - Practical #10

The plate was stunning. Centered with bright green spinach which flaked aromas of its garlic-sauté-butter. Resting on the greens, perfect grill marks x’d the rose salmon steak. Pureed potatoes filled with béchamel and blanketed with golden-brown gruyere stood on the side. It could not have been any more perfect.

That was how this morning’s practical was supposed to go. And most of it did, but not the potatoes.

Cut out, “Pureed potatoes filled with béchamel and blanketed with golden-brown gruyere stood on the side.”

And replace with, “Burnt to the core. Black rocks. Hockey pucks. Charcoal which once represented potatoes. Scorched-ly stood on the side.”

Miscalculating the baking time for the Byron potatoes, I left them in too long. It was a disaster – a smoky one at that. Not one to salvage. They turned from puree, fluffy, creamy happiness into a brick of black sadness.

Luckily, the chef took notice of my potatoes in the various stages of preparation and was able to report that they went perfectly, other than the obvious. I was close. So close to hitting this practical out-of-the-park.

When I first opened my oven I was taken back. Only for a split second though. There really wasn’t much I could have done. I giggled inside. Let out a deep-cleansing breath and placed them on top of my oven. Chef and I exchanged looks and I proceeded through to the end.

Potatoes? Burnt to a bloody crisp.
Emulsified butter sauce? Well seasoned and right consistency.
Salmon? Nice grill marks, well cooked.
Spinach? Well cooked with nice flavor.
Work? Clean, prompt, and organized.

One of my group-mates, Sara, was kind enough to give me one of her potatoes. I had been craving these ever since Monday’s instruction.

Lesson learned today – Don’t burn the Byron potatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment