Sunday, January 24, 2010

Le Cordon Bleu - Instruction #9; Practical #9

Instruction #9

  • Mixed herb omelette; ham omelette; wild mushroom; plain omelette
  • Preparing fowl for roasting
  • Roasted chicken and jus
  • Techniques and presentation of garden-style vegetables and turned artichokes
Mixing the beaten eggs with a bit of cream (or milk) helps to give volume to the omelette. Pour the egg mixture into an extremely hot pan which has been coated with oil and butter. Using a fork, stir the eggs - bringing the parameter to the center until the bottom is cooked. Add the filling. Slowly roll the end nearest to you into the center. Holding the pan at an angle tap the handle – forcing the opposite end to fall slightly out of the pan. Catch with a fork and fold in to the center making a completed omelette. Brush with butter (of course!)



The roasted chicken was the biggest practical yet. We hit the ground running and worked through with no down time. One thing after another. Things boiling on top of each other. The recipe building upon itself. It was hot. And sweaty. And tiring.

We roasted the chicken with some vegetables that were cut into mirepoix. After the chicken was roasted we strained the pan – separating the fat from the vegetables. We then took the vegetables with some other ingredients to make our jus.

Moving through the recipe, trying to keep my thoughts straight, I mistakenly dumped my vegetables into the trash.

“Son-of-a-BITCH!” I fumed.

The chef was kind and told me to take a few vegetables from each of my group members and to proceed with the recipe.

Pissed beyond belief I gruffed my way to the end of the recipes.

The chef liked my chicken. My vegetables were finally cut regular. And my work was clean and fast. This time I was told I needed more seasoning. (I really think it depends on the time of day, chef, and the wind’s direction when it comes to seasoning.)

In the end the chef was happy. I was not. Embarrassed and extremely disappointed in myself, I packed up my things and walked home. Hanging my head low.

No comments:

Post a Comment