Sunday, December 20, 2009

My Favorite Food Things - Day #21 - Dairy

Crème fraîche is my favorite dairy product.

Crème fraîche, French for fresh cream, is similar to sour cream but with a higher fat content. Crème fraîche contains about 30% fat whereas sour cream is usually around 10%. That’s not entirely why I like it so much – although the fat sure is tasty. I prefer crème fraîche because it won’t curdle when heated, unlike sour cream. Therefore making it perfect for finishing sauces.

Crème fraîche also has a less tangy flavor than sour cream which I like because it puts more of the flavor control back into my hands. (Doesn’t that sound like a controlling chef thing to say?!!?)

As for the other dairy contestants; heavy cream, milk, butter, yogurt, cream cheese, et al., I like them too. And as said before, they all have their proper place and usage in my kitchen.

Wonder how all these dairy products come to be? Here is a great chart showing how, when, and with what fat content they manifest. Click on it to make it more readable.

No comments:

Post a Comment