Monday, November 2, 2009

The Language of Le Cordon Bleu

As most of you know I have been studying French for the past year in anticipation of my move.

My experience with the French has been positive. As long as you make the effort in French – not just expecting them to speak English – then they are kind and helpful. So, I want to have enough of a foundation of the language when I arrive that I can make that effort.

My main reason for learning French is for LCB…because I have to. The structure of my program is in three parts:

1. Basic
2. Intermediate
3. Superior

Every class at each of these three levels is taught in French. The Basic and Intermediate levels are immediately translated into English. The school only translates into English. The third level, Superior, however, is not translated. Yep, so that means that by the time I get to the Superior level I need to speak French, culinary French. The only way I can pass my program and get my diploma is by getting through this final level in French.

I am not concerned about having to conduct business at the bank or even seeing a doctor in case of an emergency. I know that in these situations there will be someone that will speak English and can help me through. I am concerned about graduating from Le Cordon Bleu.

I have heard a lot of advice that immersion is the best way to learn a language. I am suspect, but trust that this is so. What do you think? Do you think that immersion is the best way of learning a language?

I guess all I can say is “Bon chance!

1 comment:

  1. Tony,
    I concur that immersion is the best way to go. My experience is limited to a few years sporadically spent in Greece. I know that when I was in a room with a few Greeks who spoke little to no English my Greek improved dramatically! I found the classroom laborious and slow compared to "being right there."
    P.G.
    (I was unable to find a profile that fit me other than "Anonymous")

    ReplyDelete