Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Hunting for an Apartment, the French Way

I am so thankful for the internet. Can you imagine international travel, or any travel for that matter, without it? How would we select our seats on airplanes? Reprint our train itineraries? Get our museum tickets? Thank god for the internet.

I am sure you are wondering where this is coming from. Perhaps you are thinking I am referring to this blog when I speak of being thankful for this information portal. I am actually referring to finding an apartment in Paris. LCB does not provide any living arrangements, so I was on my own. I spent countless hours on the internet, sometimes with three or four web browsers open at once, hunting for the perfect little Parisian gem.

Here were my criteria:

1. Be in Paris
2. Be within walking distance to LCB
3. Be as far away as possible from the touristy stuff
4. Be affordable
5. Have sunlight
6. Have running water
7. Include Internet (of course!)

Now, here is the reality:

1. I just didn’t search any where else other than Paris
2. Walking distance? Who needs to walk?
(Actually it is 2.2 km from LCB)
3. I am an American, everything is touristy stuff to me
4. Ha! Ha! Ha! I am such a dreamer!
5. Sunlight may be overrated
6. What exactly do I mean by ‘running’?
7. You better believe it!

By using the internet I was able to search what seemed to be an endless supply of apartments. I was able to view pictures, near by businesses, and read stats about the neighborhood. Best of all, I was able to walk down the street, look up at my building, and see the surrounding area, all thanks to Google Map’s street view function.

What the internet didn’t do for me was negate all the French bureaucracy and paperwork. I was introduced to the French style of getting things accomplished in my apartment search. I faxed my passport, LCB letter of acceptance, and other documents so many times that my phone bill was beginning to look like my tuition bill.

My apartment on Boulevard De Grenelle in the 15th arrondissement was my fourth choice. Once my application (my American, culinary student, short-term application) was received by potential landlords I heard many different responses. “The apartment is no longer available for rent.” “Please try again.” “Now we can not rent the apartment for less than a year for personal reasons.” Nonetheless, I have secured an apartment…as long as I wasn’t scammed! So when I arrive on December 31st to claim my keys and meet my landlord I hope that someone shows up. Tune in on December 31st to find out!

1 comment:

  1. you should have no trouble surviving school if you can survive Visa and living issues!

    ReplyDelete