Tuesday, October 27, 2009

How a Flâneur Taught Me English

An unexpected thing happened to me about two weeks ago when I was studying French. I learned an English word!

I read the following sentence, “Il a vu la ville comme un flâneur.” I was very interested in this fellow and how he, “saw the city as a stroller.” “…as a stoller.” I began to think…

Whenever I am on vacation I always opt for public transportation and my feet to get me around. I love walking around cities assessing the people by how they whip by me on a busy street. I enjoy smelling the humidness of cities, the exoticness of islands, and the crispness of farm towns as I stroll through them. I always look forward to the unexpected coffee shop, bakery, or lunch spot that I just happen upon as I move from one place to the next.

It is through this means of strolling by foot that is the best way to see – and come to know – any city, town, or village.

As I did some more research into the term flâneur (which I thought was exclusively French) I came to learn our English version. Flaneur, as derived by Charles Baudelaire to mean, “a person who walks the city in order to experience it."

For the balance of the week I will be in the Bay Area, namely getting my visa, but also doing some work, seeing old friends, and having a bit of fun.

As a flaneur…I expect to smell the fresh seafood as I walk down Market Street to the ferry building in San Francisco…I anticipate the late night stroll after dinner with friends in Napa…and I wonder where my sauntering will get me and my mother in downtown Santa Clara.


One of my flâneur moments on a perfect Parisian street.

No comments:

Post a Comment