Friday, October 23, 2009

The Final Hurdle

The requirements for my up coming adventure included more than the application to LCB. Conditions like: renewing passports, reissuing social security cards, finding a place to live, booking flights, finding French classes/tutors, etc…and I was rapidly checking these items off as early as February, a good 11 months prior to my departure. I was rolling forward and feeling good about my organizational skills and overall progress.

By March I was contacting the French consulate in San Francisco for guidance on my visa application. Since 9/11 people are required to visit, in the flesh, the appropriate consulate or embassy for a visa. Something about showing your face to a national official.

France has two options in the U.S., Washington D.C. for everything on that side of the Mississippi, and San Francisco for everything on this side.

During one of my March phone conversations with the San Fran consulate I concluded by saying, “Ok. I expect to see you in the next month to complete my visa application.”

“Oh no. Zat iz not possible,” said the nice lady on the other end of the line.

I was stopped dead in my tracks. I was almost speechless. In a moment that probably lasted two seconds I rushed through a myriad of reasons as to why she said I couldn’t come.

I thought about my work schedule, which was free and how part of citizen surveillance that was born out of national security was to give your work schedule to french consulates. Then I thought that this was a silly idea because our work day is longer and the French wouldn’t understand it.

Next I thought I was too close to some deadline and wouldn’t be able to book a flight. Then I remembered that that was so 1990.

Still confused, I finally rested on that French woman (no longer nice French woman) simply didn’t like me. Right before I was about to confirm this in my mind and get deeply offended she chimed in again.

“Ze way it iz, iz zat you must come 10 weeks beeforrr yourrr depaarturrr to ourrr countriii.”

This was more ludicrous than the persnickety visa requirements. Requirements that if not presented exactly as requested would result in a denied application and a very sad Anthony. The presentation of the visa application takes place at the consulate during a scheduled interview. (There is no “mail-in” option for this one.)

I was no longer worried about having the appropriate number of document copies, or enough money in my bank account, or even whether I had signed every dotted line. No. Now I was worried about how I would mentally survive for the next 7 months with this visa task hanging over my head…a task that I could not complete because of French lady.

Fast forward 7 months and here we are today. I am still not quite sure how I survived not instantly completing a task on my ‘to-do’ list, but I did.

Next Wednesday, October 28th, I will fly from SLC to SFO for my chance to present my visa application to the French consulate in hopes that it is accepted.

This is the last hurdle that stands between me, LCB, Paris, and my future.

1 comment:

  1. I'll look forward to congratulating on this task when we see you next week.

    ReplyDelete