Monday, October 19, 2009

Applying to LCB

On my 2008 summer visit to LCB I met my admissions representative, Christine Gil. Throughout the entire application process this was probably the best move I made. This allowed Christine to put a face to my name, but more importantly it was a chance for her to see my passion…to see that I fit in at LCB.

The entire application process included:

Ø An application
Ø 2 passport photos
Ø Resume
Ø Letter of Intent

The school offers two diploma tracks, Diplôme de Cuisine and the Diplôme de Pâtisserie. I applied for the Diplôme de Cuisine. Each diploma track has three sections, Basic, Intermediate, and Superior, which usually take in total about 9 months to complete. Between the three sections of each track there are only about 200 students in the school. I was nervous and scared that my application wouldn’t be accepted. Luckily I only had to wait about two months before a letter from LCB arrived in my mailbox. The letter read,

“M. Fassio,

Nous vous remercions beaucoup pour votre intérêt pour Le Cordon Bleu.

Nous sommes très heureux de vous informer que votre demande pour Le Cordon Bleu Le Diplôme Cuisine de programme a été accepté…”



I was so nervous and yet so excited that I didn’t know what to do. Up until this point I had learned very little French…I didn’t know what this letter was telling me. Then I turned the letter over and to my relief found these words,

“Mr. Fassio,

We thank you very much for your interest in Le Cordon Bleu.

We are very pleased to inform you that your application for Le Cordon Bleu Le Diplôme de Cuisine program has been accepted….”



I GOT IN! THEY ACCEPTED ME! It was December 18, 2008. One of the happiest days of my life.

Then I thought to myself, “Crap! I need to learn French!!!” All three sections of the diploma are taught in French, but the first two sections, Basic and Intermediate, are immediately translated into English. The third section however, taught in French with no translation…hence my motivation to learn French!

2 comments:

  1. I've heard French is a hard language to learn but it sounds so beautiful. How have you done since that day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since that moment, I have come quite far. I have been studying for over a year...I still have a long ways to go, but I feel more confident every day.

    ReplyDelete